estate agents in bradford on avon::In later times, bradfordon avon developed as a centre for textiles, mostly wool, and the bradfordonavon you see today was shaped in these times.
The wool trade died away in the area, moving north to large industrial centres like bradford yorkshire which some say was named after bradfordonavon!
The large mills were taken over by the new and burgeoning rubber industry, and the rubber plant was the main employer in the town for decades, manufacturing tyres and wiper blades.
Sadly that industry has moved on too, and many of the mills are being converted to residences.
The area around bradfordonavon is riddled with mines, used for quarrrying the local stone which is similar to the yellow sandstone which shaped the city of bath.
In the sixties two of the mines in bradford were taken over by a mushroom growing firm, the even and humid atmosphere of the old mines being perfect for such purposes.
The mine at westwood just outside the town was used for industry, including the royal enfield motorcycle plant.
During the 2nd world war the mine was used to store part of the crown jewels which had been removed from london for safety!
Culver close near the centre of bradfordonavon was used for breeding rabbits mainly for food, and conigre hill was where pigeons were bred mainly also for food.
The st thomas more roman catholic church in the heart of bradfordonavon was designed in 1854 by the architecht thomas fuller, who also designed the canadian houses of parliament in ottowa.
Thomas fuller adopted an eclectic approach, and incorporated french, german and italian gothic elements, resulting in this splendid bath stone building with its domestic tudor style, jacobean gables, massive oriel window and onion dome atop an octagonal tower.